Most BPMN models contain splits in the control flow. Most frequently used is probably the exclusive gateway. Such a gateway decides which way to go – based on data, such as the value of an order. An event-based gateway, on the other hand, decides on the basis of events. This gateway waits for several events to occur. The event that occurs first, „wins“ – and the path of this event is selected.
The process presented in the video contains a typical example of how to use an event-based gateway. At the gateway, the process waits for a message to arrive. If it isn’t received within a certain time span, a reaction is triggered, such as reminding the partner of the overdue message.
Unfortunately, the BPM-system Bonita – which is used for creating the examples in this series – doesn’t support event-based gateways. The video shows how to achieve the same behavior in a different way.
You can download the project file for the Community Edition of the Bonita platform.
Prerequisite: Bonita version 2022.1 and above.
- Import bos file in Bonita into a new project.
- In „Organization“: Deploy „BPMCO.organization“ (default user: admin).
- Deploy Business Data Model.
- In „Diagrams“: Deploy the diagram (or press „Run“ to deploy the diagram and directly start the execution in one step).
- With „Applications“ you can open the portal. Select „Bonita User Application“.
- The user „admin“ can perform the tasks of the process „Order from Warehouse“. „Process Warehouse Order“ can be performed by the user „walter“.
- The default password for all users is „bpm“.